Hilton Worldwide to investigate allegations of blackmail
The incident happened at a Hampton Inn and Suites in Albany in 2015. In the lawsuit, the woman claims she initially had no knowledge that her privacy was invaded until September of this year, when she was contacted by the “perv” who informed her of his actions.
She described the news as like being “hit by a truck”. According to the legal case, the blackmailer emailed the woman on September 30 with a link to footage that had been posted to a pornographic website. Her name was also shared on the site.
The blackmailer asked her repeatedly for money and eventually began sending the footage to her co-workers.
The lawyer representing the woman believes the blackmailer to be an employee of the hotel based on the suspect’s knowledge of his client’s personal information. He also claimed that room was “used repeatedly to film people over an extended period”.
Hilton Worldwide said in a statement it will investigate the incident.
“We take the safety and wellbeing of our guests incredibly seriously, and find the details included in the civil filing distressing,” said a Hilton spokesperson.
“We commit to supporting the independent ownership and management of the property as they investigate, respond, and co-operate with any law enforcement investigations.”
A representative from the hotel said they were “shocked and stunned” to learn of the allegations but maintained it had thus far not found any evidence of recording devices.
“Recently, the hotel underwent a complete renovation. During that process, no recording devices of any kind were uncovered. We will continue to work with the authorities to discover the perpetrator and see that s/he is held accountable,” the hotel spokesperson said.